Croydon Youth Zone, named by young people as ‘Legacy’, will be a purpose-built facility for the borough’s young people aged 8 – 19, and up to 25 for those with disabilities.
Legacy will also be London’s third OnSide Youth Zone and will be located in Whitehorse Road, Thornton Heath and is expected to be completed in 2018.
This infrastructure of facilities is based upon OnSide Youth Zones 21st Century Youth Facility Model and young people from across Croydon will have access to all these fantastic facilities for a cost of £5 for an annual membership and 50p per visit. The Youth Zone will provide a safe environment where young people can come and enjoy themselves and will enable young people to raise their aspirations and confidence to create a happier and healthier generation.
• Croydon is ranked 96th most deprived borough in England and 17th in London (IMD 2015)
• Croydon was among the London boroughs with a higher average rate of unemployment between 2012 and 2014 (7.3%) (London 6.4%)
• 6 LSOA areas in top 10% most deprived in England
• 21.8% of children under 16 live in poverty, worse than the England rate at 18.6%
• 805 children in care – significantly worse than England average
• 24% of 10-11 year olds are obese – significantly worse than England average at 19.1%
• Number of first time entrants to the Youth Justice system is much worse than England with 215 young people (per 100,000) aged 10-17 receiving their first reprimand, warning or conviction
• 45.2% youth reoffending rate worse than London 42.2% and England 37.2%
• Family homelessness also significantly worse than England at 5% and 1.8% respectively
• Attainment at KS2 in Croydon 75% worse than the London 82% and England 79% averages